10 AI-generated kitchen designsCheck out these 10 AI-designed kitchen spaces! From traditional to modern, these designs showcase AI capabilities in design. Take a look at all the AI-created designs.
What is the best paint color for kitchen with dark cabinets? Does it need to be white or black? Learn more! Dark cabinets are a great choice if you love a dramatic vibe around your home. Dark cabinets add a sophisticated and sleek look to any kitchen.
However, dark cabinets can create an overwhelming or heavy feeling if not done right. Creating a balance when working with dark kitchen cabinets is essential to getting the best look in your space.
Here are the key points for picking the best paint color for your kitchen with dark cabinets:
- Dark cabinets can create an overwhelming feeling if not done right, but white is a great color to bring out the best of your dark cabinets.
- Popular colors of dark kitchen cabinets include dark brown, navy blue, forest green, masculine black, slate grey, black and oak, and black and marble.
- Bright white paired with black or dark brown cabinets creates a modern vibe. Try warm undertones like taupe, beige, linen, yellow, orange, or warm-toned greys to bring out the warmth in your dark-colored cabinets.
- Cooler-toned neutrals work best for darker wood cabinets such as espresso or almost-black shades of brown.
- Add a splash of bold color to create a playful, funky look for your kitchen.
- Various colors work with cherry, from muted grays to sophisticated reds and creamy whites.
White is the best color to bring out the best of your dark cabinets. But you can be creative and play around with colors. However, too much of it can create an imbalance and ruin the look you were striving to achieve. You may want to go with a high-contrast look of dark tones and bright or light or to highlight the undertones in your cabinets by pairing them with like colors. Bright white, warm and cool neutrals, and adding a splash of color are some of the go-to ideas for a sleek-looking finish in your kitchen.
Brands like Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams produce some of the best paint colors you can use for your kitchen makeover. Let’s look at some creative paint color combinations that can make your dark kitchen cabinets stand out.
Popular colors of dark kitchen cabinets
Dark kitchen cabinets are a bold move but can make the place feel cozy and relaxed. Some basic dark colors used on kitchen cabinets include dark brown, navy blue, forest green, masculine black, slate grey, black and oak, and black and marble. It can be tricky settling for a color scheme when you want dark wood cabinets, but there is no limit to your choices. From dark grey to blue and gold, or black on black to the traditional dark wood, your choice is endless.
Kitchen Color Ideas with Dark Cabinets
A bright color pop stands out against dark cabinets. The bright color doesn’t necessarily have to go on the wall. You could try something different, like a colorful kitchen island, using colorful furniture or rugs and flooring. Bright white paired with black or dark brown cabinets creates a modern vibe. Try warm undertones like taupe, beige, linen, yellow, orange, or warm-toned greys to bring out the warmth in your dark-colored cabinets.
Cooler-toned neutrals work best for darker wood cabinets such as espresso or almost-black shades of brown. Such a color family include dark blue-gray, sage green, greige, lavender-toned gray, or shades of blue. Lighter shades that match the undertones in your cabinets open up the space and make it seem brighter. If you want to highlight the base color of your dark cabinets, look for brighter versions of that base cabinet color—for instance, pair gray-blue with a range of blue undertones to make things pop around your kitchen.
Bright white is a timeless classic that works in traditional and modern kitchens. Benjamin Moore is a brand to reckon with when it comes to different paints for your kitchen needs. Accent your dark brown or black cabinets with bright white color to achieve a modern vibe. If you paint your kitchen walls white or add a white backsplash, use accessories with small pops of colors to give your kitchen a warm vibe. For darker walls or backsplash, use white marble countertops.
Add a splash of color
Experiment with bold colors if you are after a playful, funky look to enhance your kitchen. A bright pop of color can stand out pretty well against dark cabinets. It doesn’t have to be light walls painted all bright. You can play around with colorful paint on your kitchen island or add bright-colored furniture to add a dramatic element. To avoid creating a chaotic vibe in your space, try sticking to about two bright shades and keep the rest of your color scheme neutral.
Black and White
The black and white classic combination never runs out of style. There are countless designs you can pair up when using the black and white color combination to ring out a sophisticated look in your kitchen. For example, if you have black cabinetry, you can pair them with bright white countertops, black light fixtures and a mixed color backsplash. Add stainless steel appliances to accentuate the dark background. You cannot go wrong with white and black paints if you engage your creative mind. Adding pops of color around the place gives your space a bold look. Black and white also create balance in small kitchens.
White, Silver, and Shades of Gray
You can complement your grey kitchen cabinets with white walls or tile flooring. The timeless combination of white and grey uses natural light to create a neutral interest. A metallic silver-tone pairs perfectly with white and grey. Use silver handles, mixer taps, and pendant lights to complete the classic look in your kitchen. You can also go for larger kitchen accessories or appliances like a fridge.
Dark Brown, Cream, and Gold
Create contrast in an open kitchen with cabinets and an island flaunting a rich espresso brown wood finish. You can have the top cabinets painted cream with golden light fixtures, faucets, and knobs. Complement the look with wooden cutting boards and rustic vases if your door is wooden. Use brown tiles to make everything look more intentional and cohesive. Matte Black Gray and Dark cabinets
Sage Green and Beige
Turn your all-white kitchen from a cold to an inviting room by giving it a fresh coat of paint colors: light beige on the walls and sage green on the cabinets. You can use a black and white tile floor to make the space feel complete. Black countertops can complement the two colors.
Sage Green, Black, and Terra Cotta
If you love a country cottage vibe in your home, add a bit of rustic and refined elements; it also evokes the feeling of luxury. Create a bold look with earthy sage green cabinets and terracotta tiles. Gleaming black stone or marble countertops, countertops and gold pendants can elevate your kitchen’s appearance. With accent pieces of artichokes and a vase of flowers, you’ll have a completely new kitchen with a worldly feeling.
Forest Green Teal Blue and White
Instead of creating a contrast between light walls and dark cabinets, you can do a tone-on-tone look using forest green and teal blue paint. To create a rich color scheme, go for dark green lower cabinets and blue-green subway tiles. To complete the look and keep the room bright and balanced, you can have white countertops, thin wood shelves, and windows to let in natural lighting.
Opt for a navy blue kitchen island and cabinets with white countertops to create a modern look around your space. Navy blue cabinets add depth and dimension to the kitchen when paired with white and neutral tones like gold. You’ll bring out the dark navy color with white walls and light brown tile flooring. You can also use golden hardwood in place of the white counters. Add bits of gold hardware like handles, locks, knobs, and drawer slides.
Matte Black, White, and Gold
A quick coat of paint on your kitchen cabinets or walls can change the vibe of the entire space. You can easily work your color scheme into matte black cabinets. Paint the upper cabinets white to keep them from feeling too dark. You can choose white or gold countertops and a bright gray floor. You can also use clear glass fixtures and natural light from vast windows to balance the bold look.
Black White And Dark Wood
If you love the traditional-style kitchen, you can add warmth to it using rich colors and texture. A mix of black and dark wood cabinets feels welcoming when paired with shiny white countertops. Use gray patterned tiles and bronze accessories or appliances to complete the look.
What color paint goes with dark wood cabinets?
1. Use warm neutrals. If you have dark wood cabinets in your kitchen, try light neutrals with warm undertones. We recommend colors like creamy white, linen, taupe, beige, warm yellow accents two-toned grays, or a soft blush pink. Take the paint a notch higher by adding accents in the same color family. For example, you could add darker shades of pink to amplify a pinkish undertone. For creamy white walls, add some yellow accent paint.
2. Use cool neutrals. Cooler-toned neutrals pair well with cool undertones like espresso or very dark shades of brown wood cabinets. The color family of cool neutrals include sage green, greige, shades of blue, dark blue-gray, or a shade of lavender-toned gray. To highlight an accent color, look for brighter versions of the base color to make things pop.
3. Go bright white. Accenting dark brown or black cabinets with bright white paint creates a modern vibe. If you paint all your kitchen walls white or add a white backsplash, accessorize with small pops of colors or colored appliances to avoid turning your room cold. Use white as your accent color if you want a dark wall or backsplash. You can’t go wrong with white if you use the right amount of paint around your kitchen.
How can I brighten my kitchen with dark cabinets?
If your kitchen has lousy light and appears too dark due to dark-colored cabinets, you might want to brighten up your space. You don’t have to remodel your kitchen, but with a fresh coat of white paint, you can bring light into your room. If the goal is to retain the dark cabinets, there are other ways to add light to your kitchen.
Add a metallic appliance like a stainless steel fridge or a brand-new teapot to bounce the light off its silvery surface. Add pops of color in different points of your kitchen, like a bright vase, lights, a piece of art, a curtain, or a backsplash. The splotches of color will brighten the room. Mirrors are the oldest trick to create an illusion of more space and light. Hang a mirror in your kitchen to achieve this effect.
What is the best color to paint a dark kitchen?
Create a cheery, bright space that feels airy and welcoming in your kitchen by painting everything white. White with a bright accent color gives a fresh and airy style. Consider painting your walls white, and have lightwood cabinets. Tile or mid-tone wood flooring prevents a stark feeling in your kitchen space.
Apart from white, you can go bold and pick brighter colors like blue for a traditional Cape Cod-style house, and red for a Vintage themed kitchen. Other options include tangerine, orange, sunny yellow, and grass green.
What’s the best paint color for cherry cabinets?
Cherry cabinets have been around for a long and had their heyday in the 90s and 2000s. Lately, they have become less popular, but if you find your rental or new home with cherry-colored cabinets, a fresh coat of paint can come to the rescue. Since most natural wood cabinets can support any color palette, you have a variety of colors to complement this wood finish.
Various colors work with cherry wood, from muted grays to sophisticated reds and creamy whites. Cool whites and pale blues are your go-to accent colors, for a minimal, sleeker look. For a vintage charm, go for soft greens and yellows to bring out the warmth in your cherry cabinets.
1. Soft neutrals like greige, beige, cream, and taupe, contrast beautifully with dark cherry cabinets.
2. White walls, ceilings, and molding can be a backdrop for your cherry cabinetry. The color adds brightness to your kitchen.
3. A classic gray shade can bring out a modern look from your cherry cabinets, even when they are an older style. You can add stainless steel appliances to accentuate your kitchen’s grey color.
4. Navy paint and cupboards give your kitchen a rich and dramatic look. Have white hanging cabinets or bring a white tile backlash to balance the effect. The result will feel timeless.
5. Black provides the perfect contrast against cherry cabinets, especially if your kitchen is spacious and gets ample natural light. For a smaller kitchen, use black paint at a more manageable scale.
There’s no perfect color. You can paint your kitchen whichever color you want as long as the colors coordinate with your cherry cabinetry. Sienna, olive green, lemongrass, soft blue, and light pink are additional options that would sit well alongside cherry.